Friday, January 23, 2015

A Little Work is Better Than No Work


So today was a very interesting day.  I was planning on tacking up Breeze and lunging him with side reins today, but the tack up area was busy.  So I decided to just lolly gag when I went to go catch him.  When I entered his pasture, he came walking right up to me, like he was very excited to see me.  Then I noticed his pasture mate Jackson hovering over a pile of manure.  It looked as though he was chewing, so I watched him and sure enough, he reached down and took a huge chunk out of the pile. Eewww!  So I walk over to him to gently move him away from the pile and before I could even get 10 feet from the pile he pinned his ears completely flat, turned his butt to me, backed up towards me and lifted his back hooves off the ground.  So in response I try to shoo him away from me and he
backs up closer and faster towards me with his butt.  I was flabbergasted!  He has never shown signs of aggression.  I feed him hay and grain everyday and he lets me poke and prod and pet him all while munching away happily.  He was very territorial over his poop pile.  He typically shows similar signs with his owners because he knows he can get away with it.  They are timid horse owners who treat there horse as if it is a 7 lb. Chihuahua. But I can usually move him where I need him,  and catch him with no problem.  So I grab a lead line and make him move.  But then his consequence for poor behavior became playtime when Breeze joined in the "fun."  So for about 20 minutes they gallop around their pasture bucking and farting.  As soon as they slow down, they speed back up and make another round around the pasture.  All the while I am watching and praying no one throws a shoe.
So finally they tucker themselves out.  Or so I thought.  I grab their Jolly Ball from the other side of the fence, and give it to Breeze.  He takes it in his mouth and begins beating Jackson in the face.  Next thing I know, they're playing Tug-O-War for another 15-20 minutes.  Mind you their game of Tug-O-War involves rearing and kicking. Again, I am just sitting back hoping I don't get run over (even though I am trying to stay as far away from the shenanigans as possible), or that no injuries occur.  And of course I don't have my camera.
So that was a very entertaining trip to the pasture.  Eventually the boys were over it and rolled.  I put Breezes halter on and lead him out of the pasture.  By this time I didn't feel like working him, but I also didn't like all that pent up energy seeings how we have a lesson tomorrow morning.  So I just threw him in the round pen and free lunged him.  We worked on  "working walk."  To him there is walking as slow as possible or trot.  No in between.  Now he knows he can walk faster without having to trot.  Hopefully he will know that tomorrow.
After we finished our little "workout,"  we worked on trailering.  He trailers fine, but, he does not load into my straight load very well at all.  Slant loads, he's fine: Straight loads, not so much. It is a huge fight.


But with the work that we have been doing, he is getting much better.  We have been taking it very slow.  The first attempts ( a couple weeks ago) was me sitting in the trailer while he just stood outside the trailer looking in.  I just needed him to learn to be comfortable at the trailer.  Now, this week I added grain to the equation.  Now within only two days, he goes in and out of the trailer (well half way) to eat his grain.  No fighting, no frustration.  He is willing to step both front hooves in, stand there, eat, munch, and back out slowly.  Unlike his previous, "grab a chunk of grain/hay, throw head up and bolt out as quick and dangerous as possible."  No rope burns, no pulling, no walking side to side trying to avoid the ramp, just calm step up the ramp, feet in the trailer, and sometimes even I have to back him out.
"Hm, this small space isn't so bad."

By the time we have our first show of this season, he should be easy peasy to load.  I hope.  We are just going to work on this minimum 3 days a week until I can get him to load in less than 1 minute (God forbid an emergency evacuation before then).  I was a very proud mum today.

P.s. I  have only been asking for half way, instead of asking for all the way because most of the time I am by myself practicing.  So there is no one to encourage him from behind, or to close the door behind him once he is in. So for now I just want him to slowly move his way in on his own, maybe a tiny bit of encouragement from me to take an extra step.  I plan to push for more when I have my trainer around to help me.

1 comment:

  1. Ahhh trailer loading. My mare decided to try to jump the ramp into my straightload when I brought her home. Urgh...

    ReplyDelete